Package: Woodworking Class, Maple Sugar Camp Tour & Brunch
Fri, May 20, 2016 to Wed, Aug 31, 2016
Join us at Sugar Moon Farms for a 1/2 day or full-day experience for both aspiring sugar-makers + furniture makers. A fun and hands-on learning experience which includes:
• Sugar Camp Tour: learn about what we do on our maple syrup farm and enjoy a free tasting.
• Brunch: start with fresh biscuit and maple butter, then dive into all-u-can-eat whole grain buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup. Served with our own maple-laced baked beans, local sausages with maple mustard, juice and a bottomless cup of tea or organic fair trade coffee, it's a traditional sugar camp meal with a Maritime twist.
• Your choice of three woodworking classes (listed below)
Jonathan Otter Woodworking Class: after brunch, drive just around the corner to Jonathan's Studio in Earltown. You can choose from one of these workshops, or let Jonathan customize a longer instruction session for you.
• Hand-cut dovetails- full day and half-day. Learn the principles and tricks of cutting through and half-blind dovetails. Practice makes perfect and the full day course offers enough time to complete a number of joints.
• Hand tool sharpening- full day or half day . Learn how to get a razor edge on your chisels, spoke shaves and hand planes. Cabinet scraper sharpening is also included. Students are encouraged to bring their own tools.
• Build a small dovetailed tray- full day. Materials are provided and students are encouraged to bring their own tools to build a small holding tray with four dovetailed corners and a floating bottom panel. Students take their tray home.
Bring your spouse or partner too! We''ll put together a great 1/2 day or full day for them including...
Shopping: Check out the farm shop + the General Store in Earltown; or head up to Tatamagouche for a yarn shop, gallery, potter, brewery and more.
Trail walking: Walk the beautiful Rogart Mountain Trail - a scenic well maintained 6.2 km loop that begins and ends at Sugar Moon - and check out the waterfall, wildflowers, stunning views, quiet and tranquility.