For some of us, our ancestors paved the way. For others, a more recent journey brought us here. At Canada’s newest national museum, you’ll experience the moving journey that many families took to start a new life.
Located on Halifax’s waterfront, the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21 has doubled in size to make space for more exhibits that tell the broader story of Canadian immigration, from hundreds of years ago to the present day.
Step into the past and experience what it was like to immigrate through Pier 21 between 1928 and 1971. Discover the family history of one in five Canadians, at Canada’s last standing ocean immigration terminal.
• EXPLORE FIRST-PERSON STORIES, of newcomers and the people who welcomed them, archival photos as well as artifacts, like trunks, luggage and personal treasures.
• IMAGINE YOURSELF TOSSING AT SEA in the tight quarters of a replica ship’s cabin and dining room as well as settling Canada’s west aboard a colonist railcar.
• TAKE OUR MULTIMEDIA Customs Challenge to see which of your items will be allowed or confiscated.
• GET INTO CHARACTER by playing dress-up in costumes of the era. Experience firsthand how Canada is shaped by the world in experiential ways, from past to present day.
• LISTEN, SEE, SMELL AND TOUCH to experience how different waves of immigration have influenced everything around us from our global palate to our favourite pastimes.
• DIGITALLY BROWSE a compelling collection of authentic immigrant oral histories.
• SNAP YOUR PHOTO and insert yourself into our Canadian mosaic in the form of iconic cross-country landscapes.
• SHARE HOW YOU FEEL about Canadian identity in our growing digital Belonging Quilt.
• TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE and see your results at the Citizenship Test Table. Visitors can also:
• Discover their family history by searching immigration records before 1935.
• Travel across Canada by viewing in Canada, an original film depicting stories of Canada’s cultural mosaic.
• Shop our uniquely Canadian treasures, at our one-of-a-kind Gift Shop.
Areas Of Interest: Genealogy • Immigration
Core Experience: Cities Towns • History • Our Culture
Features: Bus Tours • Gift Shop • Multilingual • Parking • Restaurant • Take Out • Wheelchair Accessible
Government Level: National
Admission Info: Admission charged; free access to gift shop and research centre.