The trail explores Acadian, boreal and taiga land regions and leads to a viewpoint offering an impressive view of the Atlantic coast and the park interior plateau, with Cape Smokey and Cape North appearing as miniature mountains in the distance.
Trailhead: Turn off the Cabot Trail at the Warren Brook warden's station and follow the Mary Ann Falls road for about 6 km to the small parking area. Significant Feature: Highland plateau, barrens Length: 14 km (8.1 mi) return Hiking Time: 4 - 5 hours (2 - 2.5 hours return, to first viewpoint)
Elevation: 100 - 305 m (330 - 1000 ft.) Gentle climb. Rugged sections.
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.753010 Long: -60.364957
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Activities: Birding • Cycling • Hiking
Cell Service: Partial
Core Experience: Outdoor Adventure
Government Level: National
Pets Policy: Leashed
Trail Surface: Natural
Trail Type: Wilderness
Directions: Turn off the Cabot Trail at the Warren Brook warden's station and follow the Mary Ann Falls road for about 6 km to the small parking area.