This switchback trail leads through a dense forest of softwood to the top of Broad Cove Mountain for exceptional views of the rocky Atlantic coast, with Middle Head and Cape Smokey in the distance. You climb 168 m over a distance of 1.6 km. Watch for moose along the way and eagles as they soar overhead. A bench at the top allows you to relax and enjoy the vistas below.
Trailhead: A small parking lot about 1/3 of the way in on the Warren Lake road Significant Feature: Ocean, mountain scenery, fall colours Length: 2.3 km (1.4 mi) return Hiking Time: 1 hour Elevation: 35 - 180 m (115 - 590 ft.) Short, steep climb. Rugged sections.
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.7155114 Long: -60.370568
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Activities: Birding • Hiking
Cell Service: Partial
Core Experience: Outdoor Adventure
Government Level: National
Pets Policy: Leashed
Trail Surface: Natural
Trail Type: Wilderness
Directions: Trailhead located on Warren Lake Road; parking lot available.