Follow a meandering brook through a hardwood forest to a small waterfall that marks the end of the trail. You are actually in a box river canyon - there is only one way out! Keep a watch out for wildlife - a variety of birds, snowshoe hare or maybe even a moose. Local Acadians know this brook as “Rivière à Lazare”.
Trailhead: Across from the Corney Brook Campground Significant Feature: Acadian forest river canyon, waterfalls Length: 6.5 km (4 mi) return. Hiking Time: 2 hours Elevation: 30 - 170 m (100 - 560 ft.) Suitable for most skill levels. Cliffs along river edge near beginning of trail.
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.725580 Long: -60.924757
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Activities: Birding • Hiking
Cell Service: Partial
Core Experience: Outdoor Adventure
Government Level: National
Pets Policy: Leashed
Trail Surface: Natural
Trail Type: Wilderness
Directions: Across from the Corney Brook Campground in Corney Brook on the Cabot Trail within the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.