Short but steep, or, steep but short! A picturesque vista unfolds before you: Ingonish Beach, Freshwater Lake, Middle Head and Cape Smokey. If you don't have time for a longer hike to get a view, then this trail is for you. Children enjoy it also but be careful at the top.
Trailhead: On the Cabot Trail, across from the Park’s Administration Building in Ingonish Significant Feature: Atlantic coastline Length: 0.3 km (0.2 mi) return Hiking Time: 10 minutes Elevation: 10 - 45 m (35 - 150 ft.)
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.646010 Long: -60.402759
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required all year for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16648 Cabot Trail, situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37639 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Core Experience: Outdoor Adventure
Government Level: National