Ideal for a fitness walk or a stroll, this level trail follows the bottom of the Chéticamp river canyon with cliffs almost 400 metres (1300 ft.) high towering above. The First Pool is about 3.6 km up the Chéticamp River. The trail narrows and continues to Chance Pool where polished exposed bedrock makes a great location for a picnic. At the Second Pool the trail narrows to the Third Pool which marks the end of the trail. Watch for Atlantic salmon in the deeper pools. Mountain bikes are permitted, but there are rough sections. Listen for barred owls at dusk.
Trailhead: At Chéticamp Campground Significant Feature: Acadian forest, river canyon Length: 12.2 km (7.6 mi) return. Hiking Time: 3 - 4 hours Elevation: 15 - 110 m (50 - 360 ft.) Suitable for most skill levels. Short climbs. Some rocky sections. Bicycles are permitted up to Second Pool.
GPS Co-ordinates for Trailhead (in decimal degrees):
Lat: 46.643298 Long: -60.946835
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
Activities: Birding • Cycling • Hiking
Cell Service: Partial
Core Experience: Outdoor Adventure
Government Level: National
Pets Policy: Leashed
Trail Surface: Natural
Trail Type: Wilderness
Directions: The trailhead is located at the Cheticamp Campground.